Practice Management for
Herbalists & Nutritionists
Running an clinical practice comes with a big learning curve for many of us. Here's a list of tools and resources I recommend to smooth the way.
Whether you're just getting started or have been in practice for a while, I hope you find these resources helpful. Have a suggestion? Feel free to reach out any time.
If you feel overwhelmed reading through these - or by your practice in general - I'll write here what I'm often telling my mentoring clients: just start somewhere. Take one small step. Do the next, easiest thing. There's help available if you're feeling stuck. Whatever you do, don't stop now. Your people need you.
Practice Management Resources
- How Much Does it Cost to Start a Nutrition Practice? blog post (relevant for herbies, too!)
- How to Give an Awesome Conference Presentation
- How to Find Clients without using Social Media webinar (free)
- Email Newsletters for Beginners webinar ($)
- Get a copy of my intake form
- How to create a referral list
- Roots: Foundations of Clinical Practice My 10-week online course for getting your practice up & running ($)
- Alexandra Franzen's Free Workbook: Get More Clients
- Freelance Hourly Rate Calculator (I recommend the "Advanced" version... works only sporadically)
Tools & Recommendations
- My Review of Practice Better
- My Review of Living Matrix
- My pregnancy & lactation herbal cheat sheet
- Dr. Eric Yarnell's info on herb safety in pregnancy/lactation
- Tools that make working online easier
- ANA's map of State Regulation of Nutrition Practice
- Resources for Clients (coming soon!)
- Mytavin: Nutrient Depletion Calculator
- Examine: Evidence-Based Supplement Database
- Anchor: The easiest way to start a podcast (for free)
- That Clean Life: ($$) easily create pretty meal plans for clients
- Where to get Nutrition CEUs blog post
- My monthly webinars
- Herbal Case Observation Groups
- In the Clinic with Camille podcast
- Monday Mentoring
- Sign up for QxMD Read account to get journal articles relevant to your interests delivered to your inbox
- American Herbalists Guild webinar series
- Podcast recommendations (coming soon!)
- Book recommendations (coming soon!)
A 10-week online course :
Roots: Foundations of Clinical Practice
If you've been putting off starting your clinical practice because the idea of pulling together all of the bits and pieces needed to get up and running is overwhelming, this class is for you. You'll spend 10 weeks setting up the foundations of your practice so that you can stop worrying about the administrative details and start seeing clients.
I mentor highly-trained herbalists and nutritionists who want to feel solid and supported in their clinical work. I've been in practice as a licensed nutritionist and clinical herbalist for 15+ years, with a special focus on reproductive health. I've worked in a variety of settings: an OB/Gyn office, a fertility clinic, group practices, and private practice. I also serve as a professor at the Maryland University of Integrative Health, where I teach physiology, pathophysiology and mindful eating. I have a doctorate in clinical nutrition from MUIH, two master's degrees (one in herbal medicine from MUIH and one in physiology/biophysics from Georgetown), as well as an undergraduate degree in English from Rice University. I love sharing what's worked for me over the years to build a sustainable practice that feels meaningful and allows me to keep learning and growing all the time.
From the Podcast
Want a copy of my intake form?
Feel free to use any of the questions in your own work or use the whole thing if you like!
If you use Practice Better, I'll give you the code to import a copy right into your account to use/modify as you like.