In the Clinic with Camille
a podcast for integrative practitioners
Listen to the Episode:
It's time to get your practice up and running.
One of the first steps is to name your practice. For some people, this can be a real stumbling block. It feels like a huge decision. Don't let this hold you up! I've included a few things to consider below, with more in the podcast episode. It's also helpful to know that it's pretty easy (from a business/legal perspective) to change your name later. For example, if you file as an LLC you can pay a small, one-time fee and add a "Doing Business As" name to your registration.
Tips for picking a practice name
- Consider including the name of your city, state, region if you'll be primarily working locally
- Don't use hard-to-spell words if you can avoid it
- Pick something relatively short (3-4 words or so)
- Google the name to see if it's already being used
- Do an "entity search" in your state to see if the name has already been registered.
- See if any urls associated with your name are in use. Your url doesn't need to match your business name, but if someone is already using a similar url it may cause confusion for your clients
- Avoid using your own name in the practice name, in case you want to grow your practice or sell it/pass it along to another practitioner down the road.
Do you have any tips for new practitioners? Send them along by commenting below or messaging me. I'd also love to know how you picked your own practice name <3
Getting ready to start a practice?
Roots: Practice Foundations
a 10-week online course
Have a Question or Comment?
I'd love to hear from you!